Many people want to change up the look of their home but are not sure how to go about it. The result is that they make mistakes in their choices but you can avoid this. From picking the right pieces, such as Serge Mouille lamps to a few modern furniture pieces, you can make your home look fresh and new.
GQtook a look at these mistakes and gave advice about how to avoid making them.
- Get some color in your life. When most men redecorate they often make the mistake of leaving color out of the equation. They think that color is feminine but it is not. It is easy to mix in some colors such as chocolate brown and heather gray.
- Your home is not a barn. A lot of men decorate their homes with too much rustic furniture and decorations. Add a Serge Mouille lamp and leave alone the rough wood. Your home should look like a home, not a barn or a lumber yard. Adding some style and panache and you will not end up with a home that is less masculine.
- Remember you want a home you can live in. Many men, when they are renovating their home will turn what should be their living space into some kind of showroom. You should work on combining soft fabrics with interesting art and furniture. When you are considering furniture, go check it out and make sure it is as comfortable as it looks.
- Do not line your space with your furniture. One mistake that many people make is to push all of their living room furniture against the walls. When everything is at least one to two feet from the walls, it looks a lot better. This creates more natural seating areas. This works in the bedroom as well.
- Be careful where you spend your money. If you want to spend a bit more on a fantastic rug or a Serge Mouille lamp, you will make the most on the money you spend. A few decent focal pieces can really spruce up a room. This is a better way to spend your money and create a great looking living space.
- Bigger is not always better. When it comes to most things, men often think that to get the best item, they need to make sure they buy the largest they can find. When it comes to decorating your home, you do not need the largest sofa. You really need to buy items to fit the living space that you have. Take measurements of your rooms before you go to shopping for your furniture and other items. You do not need the largest Serge Mouille lamp to make a splash with it.
- You really do not need to buy undersized furniture either. If you space is small, you may think that you have to buy the smallest pieces you can find but that is just as much of a mistake as buying stuff that is too big for your living space. You do not want your space to look and feel like a doll house.
- If you buy really cool things when you travel, show them off. A lot of men will buy very cool and interesting things when they go on trips but rather than put them out where they can be seen, they hide them away in a closet. Do not fall victim to this temptation. If you have cool items such as Serge Mouille lamps, let the world see them.
- Your home should reflect your taste and style. Whether you are in a relationship or hire a professional to decorate your living space, you need it to reflect your personality and not theirs. It is often easy for men to let someone else’s style take over and create a living space that does not represent who they are. You will really never like living in that kind of space.
Redecorating can be very stressful. A lot of people find they just are not sure what kind of look they are going for. Before you start do some research on different styles and decorations. The experience does not have to be painful, it can actually be a lot of fun. These tips should help as well.