If you’re looking for some new and unique pieces of furniture for your home or looking for detached garage or shed for storage purposes, look no further than Amish furniture.
Since it was first “discovered” in the 1920s, Amish handmade furniture was and still is still held in high regard due to its quality and the attention to detail paid by Amish craftsmen.
With its uniqueness, Amish furniture gives people a chance to show off their personality. Buying new furniture is a big investment and picking pieces that will last a long time is important. In a survey of 2,000 customers, 95.1% said they ‘expect furniture to last for many years and more than 90% of responders said they plan to keep wood furniture for at least 15 years.
If you’re in the market for some Amish furniture such as wooden dining room chairs or outdoor furniture, here are some things to keep in mind and consider:
- 100% of Amish furniture is hand-crafted and there’s a lot to like about handmade furniture.
- Most Amish furniture is made from one of five types of wood: oak, cherry, maple, walnut and hickory. This gives you options when trying to choose the best one for a set of wooden dining room chairs to for a desk for your home office.
- Make sure you know what you want. There are two types of Amish furniture: mission, which is plainer and shaker, which is the fancier option with carvings and designs being part of a piece’s structure.
- It usually takes about eight weeks to build new or custom Amish handmade furniture.
- It’s hand assembled, saving you the frustration of trying to put together a piece yourself.
- It’s easy to maintain, often requiring an occasional dusting or polish.
- Amish furniture is comparable in price to mass-produced furniture and sometimes costs even a little bit less, despite being higher quality.
- Buying Amish furniture helps the Amish. The Amish are proud of their culture and traditions and buying furniture helps reaffirm their commitment to their work and culture.
The same uniqueness and care that’s found in Amish furniture can also be found in Amish built garages and Amish sheds. Amish shed plans are made with an eye on crafting sheds that look good and provide plenty of space. Amish shed plans are also made with an eye toward durability, meaning that you’re going to get something that you can store tools, equipment and whatever else you need for a long time.
Going to your average hardware store, you will likely see several run-of-the-mill shed options or shed design plans that will get the job done, but won’t be handcrafted expertly and designed carefully like Amish sheds and Amish shed plans are.
If you’re in need of extra space and looking into Amish garages or Amish custom sheds, it is important to determine your space needs and add about 25% to account for any future storage needs. A wooden shed should last at least 15-20 years and Amish custom sheds offer that strength and durability with tried-and-true Amish shed plans that have left to the crafting of many quality pieces.
Depending on what your needs are, Amish built garages and Amish built sheds can give you all the space you need. If you purchase a two-story garage for example, you have plenty of space for a couple of cars and ample space for other things such as lawnmowers, snow blowers and tools. If the first story of the garage is used for parking cars, the second story can be turned into a storage area for seasonal items or perhaps even a rec room for some rest and relaxation.
With a unique look and durability, adding Amish wooden dining room chairs around the dinner table or adding a piece of Amish construction to your backyard can give your home a look or personality that suits you. A visit to a local Amish furniture store can help you find the perfect pieces for your furniture for your home or backyard and by purchasing it, you’ll be getting a homemade, quality product that’s sure to last many years.