Hiring a maid service to clean your house is a great way to get organized and improve your quality of life. For a small fee, a professional will put forth the elbow grease to deep clean your home in a way that you don’t have the time or energy to do yourself. Here are a few tips for making the most of your maid services:
- Show your house cleaner that you appreciate them. Employees of maid services are people too. If they feel valued, they will work harder and do more thorough work. Offer them something to drink while they clean your grime. Give them a good tip– it only costs a few extra dollars but it goes a long way. However, be courteous of their time; engaging your house keeper in deep conversation makes it difficult for them to get the job done in their allotted time.
- Declutter beforehand. Yes, it is in the scope of work to have maid services put your dishes away, fold your clothes, and put your child’s toys in the toy box. But it’s not difficult to take 15 or 20 minutes to declutter, it will take a maid service a lot longer to do it for you, without being familiar with where everything goes. This frees your house cleaner to get the stuff that you really hate cleaning yourself.
- If there is something you’re particular about, speak up! Even the most experienced maid services aren’t mind readers. If you care that each pig figurine in your collection is dusted thoroughly, the best way to make sure that you are satisfied the service provided is to tell them beforehand. If there is an area of your home that you are dissatisfied with after the cleaning, respectfully let your house cleaner know. Most maid services would rather hear your feedback so they can make changes to keep your business than for you to spare their feelings but find another house cleaner.
- When you find a dependable maid service, stick with them. The more frequently you have the same maid clean your house, the more familiar they will become with where everything goes and your cleaning preferences. It makes it faster to get the work done, and leaves more time to show your home care. Also, being loyal to a house cleaner that you trust minimizes the number of strangers you have going through your belongings.
- There is no need to micromanage. One of the benefits of hiring a maid is that it gives you a break, don’t make your own life harder by micromanaging them. House cleaning professionals spend their working life doing what you only do on a rare occasion. It’s okay to step back and let them do their work their own way. You might prefer to clean with chemicals like bleach, but your house cleaner might have a great way to get the same results with natural cleaning agents. Give them a chance to clean in the manner they prefer, and speak up later if it is not to your liking.
Do you use a house cleaner on a regular basis? Do you have any tips to share for making the most of your house cleaning experience? Please leave us a comment with your feedback below.