Floral arrangements are very popular for a number of reasons and occasions all around the world. Historians and other have found depictions of floral arrangements as far back as 2500 BC. Every year, people in the United States spend more than $26.6 billion on flowers and other floral products. With all of those flowers around, people are always looking for ways to keep their flowers looking good for a longer period of time.
Tips for Keeping Your Flowers Looking Great Longer:
- Add sugar. Sugar can really help extend the life of your flowers. If you take about three tablespoons of sugar and mix in three teaspoons of white vinegar for each quart of warm water, you will have a solution that ca help keep your flowers looking great for longer. Cut the stems and add the flowers to the filled vase. The stems need to be covered by between three and four inches of water. The sugar adds nutrients that the flowers need while the vinegar prevents bacteria from growing in your vase. This is one of the best solutions for keeping your flower delivery looking great for a really long time.
- Add soda. When the local florist delivers flowers, add about one quarter of a cup of soda into the vase with the water. You need to use regular and not diet soda to make this work to keep the blossoms last longer and look fresh because it is the sugar in the soda that makes this work. If you do not want to color the water, you can use a clear soda. Both 7-Up and Sprite are examples of clear sodas that work well for flowers.
- Spray your flowers with hair spray. Hair spray is great for keeping your hairstyle looking fresh and it can do the same thing for your flowers. Flower shops around the world know that hair spray can be used to keep flowers looking fresh and pretty for a longer period of time. Hold the can about 12 inches from the floral arrangement and spray them with a quick burst of hair spray. Keep the spray only on the undersides of the leaves and the petals.
- Add apple cider vinegar and sugar. Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with two tablespoons of sugar and add that to the water in the vase. Do this before you put your flowers in the vase. Again, the sugar is great for nourishing your flowers and the vinegar helps keep bacteria from growing in the water. You need to change the water every few days. If you add the apple cider vinegar and sugar solution every time you change the water, your flowers will look great for a longer period of time.
- Add alcohol. Keeping bacterial growth to an absolute minimum is a great way to keep your flowers looking great longer. If you add a few drops of an alcohol like vodka to the vase water, it will keep the bacteria from growing in that water and the result is that the flowers will stay fresh looking longer. Add one tablespoon of sugar to the water along with the vodka and your flowers will look great for longer.
- Add aspirin. Aspirin is really a wonder drug. Not only can it help prevent heart attacks and help with fevers and pain, it can also make your flowers look fresh and pretty for a longer period of time. Crush one aspirin and add it to the vase with your flowers. When you change the water, repeat this process.
- Drop a coin in the vase. Cut flowers look better for longer when you add a copper penny and a tablespoon of sugar to the water in the vase with your flowers. Some think that the copper is an acidifier that will inhibit bacterial growth.
- Add bleach. Bleach will do two things for your cut flowers, it will prevent the water from turning cloudy and stop any bacteria from growing. Add about one quarter of a teaspoon of bleach for each quart. A very little goes a very long way in keeping your flowers looking great.
If you follow these tips, your flowers will look great for longer.